The district of Großrückerswalde is the main and administrative center of the community. It extends in a side valley of river Preßnitz starting from the formerly independent district Boden up to the height of the "Altes Gericht".
Mauersberg was first mentioned in 1291 as Ursberg. The town was initially owned by the Cistercian monastery in Buch near Leisnig before it was sold around 1300 to the lords of Waldenburg auf Wolkenstein.
Niederschmiedeberg is in a very romantic location. The popular Preßnitztal cycle path brings many cycle tourists to the village, especially in the summer months. The Preßnitztal Museum in the town center houses a vivid collection on the history of the region.